Marijuana & Hashish
Despite what you may think, cannabis is not really legal in the Netherlands, but tolerated. This means that coffeeshops are allowed to sell it but they are not allowed to buy or produce it themselves. On the tour we explain in detail how it works. For now: the possession and purchase of small amounts of different soft drugs like Marijuana, Hashish, Spacecake (hash or marijuana baked in a cake on a low temperature) and mushroom, that we call truffles, is allowed. Users won’t be prosecuted for smoking or carrying it.
Most cannabis products that were sold in the Netherlands used to be imported, but today the country has a high-grade home product, so-called Nederwiet. Please be careful, it can be quite strong. The most potent varieties contain 15% THC. Dutch weed will literally blow your mind, perhaps even to an extent that you won’t like. This is why many local smokers have sworn off the Nederwiet.
If you are not used to it, please be careful. Start small, take the time for it. Space cakes and cookies are an option for the non-smokers. However, it’s difficult to say how much you should eat of it. Please ask the guy behind the counter, take his advice seriously.
Do’s and Don’ts with Drugs
- Do visit a coffeeshop, even if you only go for a coffee. It is a must see on your visit to Amsterdam
- Don’t be foolish with drugs, it’s tolerated and we are happy with that. Don’t abuse it.
- Don’t drink a lot of alcohol and decide at that moment that it is a good idea to smoke weed.
- Do ask the seller how and where to use it. Especially if it’s your first time.
- Don’t think they may have hard drugs in a coffeeshop, they don’t.
- Do be careful with the mushrooms and space cakes, it’s different. This means that you should not use it on the top floor of your hotel.
- Do enjoy it! And please responsibly!
- Don’t buy anything from street dealers.
During the Alternative Tour we discuss this topic in-depth. It is very important that you understand, even with legal marijuana, it is still dangerous to buy drugs on the streets. If you want to try drugs, rather discuss this with us, and we will send you in a safe direction.